Sunday, January 14, 2007

Spiked Sausage and Shrimp


At first I wasn't going to post about this recipe that I found as part of a football party spread in the January 2007 issue of Woman's Day magazine. It just wasn't what I was expecting when it was done, and at first I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. For one thing, I mistakenly got chorizo that needed to be cooked instead of sausage that was fully-cooked, and it may have made a flavor difference. Not to mention that when I cut the recipe in half in order to have four servings (I was planning on leftovers later in the week) what should have been four servings only served two.

But then I considered that it had shrimp in it, so what was not to like? The more I ate of it, the more it grew on me. Ultimately, I decided I did like it, despite it not tasting the way I thought it would. I think I'll keep the recipe, but next time, I think I'll try it with smoked sausage or fully-cooked bratwurst instead.

Here it is as it appeared in the magazine (paraphrased):


Spiked Sausage and Shrimp

1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 oz. fully-cooked beef or pork chorizo (Mexican sausage), sliced
2 lbs. shrimp, thawed and shelled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup dry white wine
chopped parsley
French bread for soaking up pan juices

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Saute garlic in hot oil for about 1 minute.

Add chorizo to skillet and saute for 3 minutes or until slices have browned.

Add shrimp, salt and red pepper flakes and saute until shrimp turn pink.

Add wine and cook until shrimp are fully cooked, about 2 minutes more.

Toss with chopped parsley and serve with French bread.

Makes 8 servings.*


*Count on this to make closer to 4-6 servings instead of 8.

No comments: