Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Sparky's Birthday Cake

Today is Sparky's birthday! The theme of her party was SpongeBob SquarePants, and I made a cake to go along with the theme. I'm not very good at drawing, so instead of making a cake that was just SpongeBob, I decided to go with an underwater theme a la the TV show. I guess "the Bob" is no longer THE rage in the stores, and I had trouble finding a figuring or toy I could use as a cake topper. Instead I found a deck of playing cards and used one of those.

For anyone who's interested, here's the play-by-play. It's not the best decorating job I've done, but it may have been the most fun.

Here's the cake with just a light coating of frosting to seal in crumbs and moisture.







Again, I took the easy way out and used a couple of cans of canned frosting. I had to add additional powdered sugar to make it stiff enough to work with, though. I colored a good portion of frosting a medium-light blue, and an equal portion a medium-light green. Then I piped a stripe of each color around the sides of the cake and several stripes of each on the top of the cake, with more blue toward the bottom and more green toward the top. I blended it as I spread and smoothed the frosting.

Next I added the "things". I'm not sure if they are supposed to be starfish or amoeba or just what, but they are in the background of almost every frame of the SpongeBob show.






Using the same blue and green frosting and adding just a little more coloring to each, I piped green shells around the base of the cake and blue ones along the top edge.






The last frosting decorations I added were the aquatic plants. I just winged it and they came out looking alright.







Finally, right before serving, I added the SpongeBob card and 4 candles.


I had fun making it and the kids loved it!

1 comment: