Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Chicken and Sweet Potatoes


My friend Granny at Granny Geek posted this recipe last Friday, and I think it's great. I tried to make it according to her recipe, but out of necessity and lack of desire to go to the store, I had to substitute dried basil leaves (about 2 teaspoons) for the fresh chopped basil, and plain home-canned tomatoes for the canned stewed tomatoes. I threw in a little chopped red bell pepper I had in the freezer to regain a little of the "stewed tomato" taste.

This stew is sweet, but not too sweet, and the cinnamon and nutmeg aren't overpowering (I'm sometimes leery of using cinnamon in savory dishes). And Granny's right, it's smells great as it cooks. I think it has a slight orange aroma.

We'll be eating the stew tonight with cornbread muffins and mixed green salad.

We love leftovers, but if for some reason you don't, you might cut this recipe in half. It makes a huge batch that would probably feed about 8-10 people.

2 comments:

Tug said...

Holy COW, you've been BUSY...I'm bookmarking this - awesome!!

Blogarita said...

Tug: Thanks for stopping by! Hope there will be plenty here you like.