Saturday, December 2, 2006

Two Versions of Pumpkin-Oatmeal Cookies


Originally published on November 30, 2006 at Wasting Away In Blogaritaville.


Some of you showed interest in the Pumpkin-Oatmeal cookies I made yesterday. I have to admit, the only reason I made the fat-free version is because the butter was in the freezer and I didn't want to wait for it to thaw. But the fat-free cookies were pretty good anyway. A little chewy/stiff, but that's the nature of a cookie without fat, I think. The flavor was just fine. Here are the recipes, both fat-free and full-fat.

You can add a little more sugar if you like, but I don't mind a cookie that's not quite so sweet. You can add a cup of raisins or chocolate chips if you like (I didn't). If you like, you can substitute 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (I did). You can make the cookies with any kind of cooked pumpkin or winter squash - just note that if you cook fresh pumpkin/squash, it will probably have more water content than canned, and you might need to add up to a cup more flour (I did).



Pumpkin-Oatmeal Cookies (FAT-FREE VERSION)

1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin (or any kind of cooked winter squash)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, or egg substitute for 2 eggs
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 cups oatmeal

Thoroughly mix pumpkin and brown sugar; then beat in eggs or egg substitute. Gradually mix in the flour, soda and spices, than mix in the oatmeal. Drop by spoonfuls on non-stick or oil-sprayed* cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-20 minutes. Makes 4 - 5 dozen.



Pumpkin-Oatmeal Cookies (FULL-FAT VERSION)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin (or any kind of cooked winter squash)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 cups oatmeal

Thoroughly mix pumpkin and brown sugar; then beat in eggs. Gradually mix in the flour, soda and spices, than mix in the oatmeal. Drop by spoonfuls on non-stick or oil-sprayed* cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-20 minutes. Makes 4 - 5 dozen.

* I use parchment paper any time I bake cookies to keep them from sticking and to make cleaning up easy. But I still sprayed the parchment with non-stick spray when I made the fat-free cookies. It adds next to no fat to the recipe and I think you really need it to get the cookies to release when they are done.

No comments: