Friday, March 9, 2007

Easy Wintertime Salsa


I call this my "Wintertime Salsa" because it's a good salsa to make when fresh tomatoes and jalapenos may not be the most flavorful because of the season. But it's good year-round. All the ingredients are canned or dried, and are things I usually have on hand anyway.

As is, I consider the salsa to be "medium" in heat. Adjust the peppers accordingly to make it as hot or mild as you like.

It goes together in less than 10 minutes, so it's a good appetizer to whip up if you have unexpected company.


Blogarita's Easy Wintertime Salsa

2 14.5-ounce cans stewed tomatoes, with juices
8 slices of pickled jalapenos (use less for a milder salsa)
2 tablespoons of the juices from the pickled jalapenos (use less or omit for milder salsa)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon bottled lime juice
2 teaspoons dried cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Set one can of stewed tomatoes aside.

In a blender or food processor, combine remaining ingredients and process until fairly smooth.

Add reserved can of tomatoes and process (or use pulse setting) for approximately 1 second at a time, repeating 4-5 times, until tomatoes are blended in, but still slightly chunky.

Pour into a bowl and serve at room temperature or chill, if desired.

Makes approx. 1 quart of salsa.

2 comments:

Tug said...

As much as I LOVE salsa, I would have to buy every ingredient listed here, except the jalapenos...I don't cook for myself, so don't have much at home. ;-)

Nor do I have the power tools to make it.

Malnurtured Snay said...

You're making me hungry for nachos now, damn you.