Thursday, March 15, 2007

Other People's Recipes

The past few days I've been able to try some recipes that other bloggers mentioned on their blogs and/or submitted here.

1. Pixie submitted her recipe for Meatloaf Muffins a while ago and we had those earlier this week. Just like she said, they were tasty and popped right out of the muffin pans easily.



2. Granny Geek mentioned this wonderful Chocolate Tres Leches cake on her blog recently. I had to try it, and I'm glad I did. I'm not a big fan of chocolate...a little goes a long way for me...but this cake was gone within a couple of days. The link to the recipe is in Granny's post.

3. Not long ago, Violet wrote about taking a Waldorf Salad to a shower she attended. (Sorry, Vi, I can't seem to find that post on your blog.) Anyway, it had been a long time since I'd had Waldorf Salad and I thought it sounded good. But I didn't have the typical celery and raisins that usually go in it. So I made up my own version using dried cranberries, instead. As an aside, I tried using mayonnaise. It was a brand new jar, but for some reason, it didn't taste fresh, but I didn't figure this out until after I had it in the salad. No worries...I just dumped all of the salad into a large colander, rinsed off all the mayo with cold water, let it drain a little and started over. This time I used Miracle Whip from an open jar in the fridge, and it turned out much better, without having to through the whole thing in the garbage.

Here's my version:



Blogarita's Cran-Apple Waldorf Salad

3 large apples, cored and chopped (leave peel on)
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice (to keep apples from darkening)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
pinch of ground allspice
pinch of celery seed

Toss apples with lemon or lime juice. Stir in walnuts and dried cranberries.

Add mayonnaise and stir until all pieces are coated well. Add allspice and celery seed and stir well.

Chill before serving.

Makes about 4 servings.

4 comments:

Violet said...

The Waldorf salad looks good. I used vanilla yogurt instead of mayo... It added a bit of flavor that was pretty good.

I made a couple of guesses about which post I had that in, and I couldn't find it easily, either, so no worries.

I do really want to try the meatloaf muffins from Pixie. They look good.

Blogarita said...

Violet: The muffins are super-easy.

Granny: I really liked the apple salad. Spouse Guy says that kind of salad isn't "his thing", but that it was till pretty good...LOL.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I'm so glad you liked the meatloaf. The recipe has been a hit with everyone who has tried it.

Christo Gonzales said...

I tried to go to grannys blog but thw wordpress thing said no way...