Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Heat Wave


We had a one-day heat wave yesterday. It reached 55° here and most of the snow is gone. It was a grillin' day.

In addition to KC strip steaks, Spouse Guy grilled a couple of chicken breasts that will be used in another recipe this week and we decided to try the grilled asparagus that Dave likes to make. It was wonderful! (I apologize for the photo; it was getting dark and it's hard to get a good picture with night mode flash.)

He gave me a quick how-to lesson by e-mail. I hope he doesn't mind that I've posted the recipe here.


Grilled Asparagus a la Dave

1 pound fresh asparagus spears
1/2 stick butter
Granulated garlic (similar to coarse garlic powder)
Lemon-pepper seasoning
Ground black pepper

Wash and trim asparagus and place in a baking dish. Melt butter and either brush or pour butter over asparagus spears. Sprinkle with garlic, lemon-pepper seasoning and pepper to taste. Roll spears in pan to coat evenly.

Grill on a hot grill (gas or charcoal) turning 1/4 turn every minute or two, until desired tenderness is reached, 5 to 10 minutes. It's normal for asparagus to develop brown spots (as the natural sugars caramelize), but don't let it char. Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings (it should make 4 servings, but we love asparagus, so for us, only 2.)

3 comments:

Violet said...

Last time Dave and I ate asparagus (about a week ago) we had a race to see who's pee would smell funny first. I lost, but only because I forgot we were racing... I could've gone, but didn't want to get up from the couch and then he beat me.

Never let it be said that Dave and I aren't competitive!

Bob said...

I love asparagus!

violet- that's just so wrong... Have you guys ever considered having your heads examined??

Blogarita said...

Violet: Spouse Guy says my smeller is broken, because I don't ever smell anything different when I eat asparagus. But, maybe my pee just smells funny all the time. :)

Nobody: You should try it grilled. It was awesome. And yeah, they are wrong, aren't they?