Sunday, February 11, 2007

Marinated Flank Steak and Twice-Baked Cheddar Potatoes


This is the first time I've made marinated flank steak (sometimes called a London Broil). We were happy with the way it turned out, so I'll be making it again. We also had Twice-Baked Cheddar Potatoes, Braised Cabbage and a side salad.

There are many marinades for flank steak. The one I used was especially simple and made the meat taste great. I ended up making only half the amount of marinade and it was plenty, but I'm posting the recipe as it is in the magazine. I do suggest letting the steak sit for about 5 minutes before slicing.

The potato recipe is based on one that I saw in the February/March issue of Taste of Home. It called for bacon, but I used ham, with fine results.


Marinated Flank Steak
(recipe from Taste of Home, February/March 2007)

1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (I used regular soy sauce)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy cause, lemon juice, honey and garlic; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 6-8 hours.

Drain and discard marinade. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat or grill over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Thinly slice steak across the grain.

Makes 6 servings.


Twice Baked Cheddar Potatoes


6 large baking potatoes
8 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Scrub and pierce potatoes; rub each with 1 teaspoon butter. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender; set aside.

When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each and discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell. In a bowl, mash pulp with remaining butter. Stir in the milk, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, bacon and onion.

Spoon filling into the potato shells. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

Makes 6 servings.


Braised Cabbage

2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 head cabbage, cored and cut into pieces about 2-inch square
salt
pepper

Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over high heat. Add cut up cabbage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.

Let cabbage cook, without stirring, for about 4 minutes or until cabbage pieces on bottom begin to brown. Stir cabbage.

Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and let cabbage continue to cook, stirring occasionally, just until tender.

Makes 4 - 8 servings (depending on size of head of cabbage).

6 comments:

Tug said...

I love twice baked potato recipes, and am always looking for something to take to work for lunch since I eat in. This, and the flank steak, should be perfect - thanks!

(I've always halved the potatoes, using both halves if you get big enough ones)

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I make a huge batch of twice bakes at a time (like 20) wrap them up in pairs and stick a bunch of the pairs in a larger freezer bag. Throw them in the freezer and when you want to have them with dinner they're ready to go. You don't even have to thaw them. Bake at 450° for 30 to 40 minutes and they are fantastic.

Like tug, I halve the potatoes. Then I eyeball the rest of the ingredients: bacon, cheese, sour cream, a bit of milk, and S&P.

Blogarita said...

Tug and Pixie: Thanks for the tips! I think if I halved the potatoes I could get more of the filling back in. (I had extra and just put it into foil cupcake liners.)

I really like the idea of making some ahead and freezing them. This was the best recipe I've ever tried for twice-baked (because of the egg, I think), but I don't always want to go to the trouble to make them.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I made the braised cabbage for dinner last night with some pierogies and smoked sausage. We both really liked it and will make it again—I always have more cabbage than I need and this was a great way to use it up.

Blogarita said...

Pixie: Glad you liked it. Did you make your pierogies from scratch?

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

No, from a box. We like Mrs. T's brand. We almost always have a box in the freezer for a quick meal.