Sunday, February 4, 2007

Sauce For Pasta or Pizza


A couple of the recipes I'll be using this week call for spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce. I like to make my own sauce to use on pasta or pizza, but I don't usually can't (or don't want to) take the time to simmer a pot of sauce for hours. A few years ago I came up with this recipe for a sauce that begins with canned tomato sauce and ends in the freezer. It's been the sauce I've used almost exclusively since I first made it.

Although I originally developed the recipe using smaller 15-ounce cans of tomato sauce, I usually buy the large 6.5 pound can of tomato sauce at a warehouse club, make up a large batch of sauce, take out what I need for the next week to chill in spare canning jars, then freeze the rest in 2-cup portions. I'm including the measurements for both size batches.

Depending on the brands you buy, this recipe is also a money-saver. I calculate the large batch to come out to about 25 cents a cup. Large jars of sauce usually contain just a little more than three cups, and the cheapest I can ever them is $1.00 a jar. So I usually end up saving 25%.


Blogarita's Sauce For Pasta or Pizza - Small Batch
30 ounces (2 15-ounce cans) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 teaspoons basil leaves
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 "splashes" (about 1/8 teaspoon or so) Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Heat over low heat to use over pasta, or use at room temperature when making homemade pizza.

Freeze leftovers in zippered freezer bags.

Makes approximately 4 cups of sauce.



Blogarita's Sauce For Pasta or Pizza - Large Batch

1 6.5-pound can tomato sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon basil leaves
2 tablespooons minced garlic
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Heat over low heat to use over pasta, or use at room temperature when making homemade pizza.

Freeze leftovers in zippered freezer bags.

Makes approximately 12 cups of sauce.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I am so glad you posted a sauce recipe. I have been wanting a recipe and to chicken to try one in any book I found.

I will have to try it out this week!

Blogarita said...

Tracy: I hope you like it!

The Lone Beader® said...

If you sold your sauce, you would make a nice profit. I just paid $8 for a jar of homemade spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and suasage in it. That might sound crazy to you, but it is worth every penny to those of us loners who don't have time to cook=:)

Blogarita said...

LB: It's something to keep in mind. In our state, I'd have to have a totally separate kitchen to make and can the salsa, or else have access to a commercial kitchen. They won't let you sell most homemade foods without the separate kitchen and a license. :(